Organic, natural gum, hemp, unbleached, cellophane, printed, watermarked, flavored; With so many options on the cannabis market for rolling papers it’s a challenge to find the right wrap or your joint. So today we try to make sense about the papers we use to roll marijuana.
There is more to discuss than you might think when it comes to rolling papers but once you have the information you need you’ll be able to intelligently select the right paper for the right joint so let’s get started.
First let’s break rolling papers down into categories based on the manufacturers:
- Major Commercial Makers of which there are 3 huge rolling paper manufacturers that make up the lion’s share of worldwide sales. Some of the most popular of these are JOB, OCB, ZigZag, Bugler, Joker, Rizla, PureHemp, Bambu, Top, Abedie and EZ-Wider. All of these brands are part of the big 3 of rolling paper manufacturers.
- Independent Paper Makers such as RAW, Elements, Juicy Jay and Skunk Brands make up the next largest and fastest growing market in the rolling paper industry. This expansion is clearly related to the growing cannabis industry and the fact that many of these brands cater more to marijuana smokers than to traditional tobacco smokers. These brands tend to be niche and high-quality tier brands with a focus on natural, sustainable and more seemingly healthy options.
- There are also specialty and novelty rolling papers which may belong to any one or neither of the previous categories but include clear papers, specially printed papers and promotional or marketing papers made to promote an event or some brand.
Now let’s discuss the various sizes of rolling papers.
First let’s discuss the width of papers:
- Single wide papers are the standard old school cigarette paper size but most cannabis smokers find them too small and cumbersome.
- 1.25 or 1 ¼ width papers are the most common among avid cannabis smokers and are, as you likely guessed, about ¼ width wider than the single papers.
- 1.5 of 1 ½ papers, it would be no surprise then, are the widest commonly available paper and are ½ as much wider than regular papers and often thought of as the easiest to roll width of papers. 1.5’s are perfect for new rollers or for those who like to roll really fat joints.
Now let’s discuss the length of rolling papers:
- Standard length of 78mm is the most common rolling paper length, which is just short of the 84mm length of most store bought tobacco cigarettes.
- King Size Length is 110mm. For cannabis smokers they are useful for rolling cones with that extra room to twist off the top or for rolling with a tip or crutch and still having plenty of room for cannabis.
- Other sizes and lengths of papers are available such as entire pull out paper rolls, and oversized papers. DLX brand, a very slow burning paper, actually makes 84mm papers to be exactly the same length as cigarettes.
Next we will explore the various Materials used in making rolling papers:
- First we have Traditional pulp paper. Non wood plant fiber known as rag fibers from various plants are used to make the most common of rolling papers. Most of these papers are bleached to be white and many also have chemical additives such as magnesium carbonate to control the color of the ash and Potassium Citrate to control the speed of the burn among many other possible chemical additives.
- Next we have Natural unbleached and/ or unrefined pulp papers. These papers are made from a similar pulp as traditional papers but without the addition of chemicals to slow the burn or color the ash. The are usually a light brown color because it is not bleached to appear white and RAW is probably the most popular of the natural unrefined rolling papers.
- Rice paper is made, not surprisingly, from rice which is processed and pressed very thin into a slick and crisp paper. Some advantages of rice paper include being very thin and transparent in taste and they are slower burning than pulp papers. Elements papers are a quality rolling paper proudly made from rice paper.
- Hemp papers are pleasant in flavor, especially when smoking with cannabis and easy to roll due to the porous grippable texture. Hemp papers and wraps are really growing in popularity alongside the growing legalization of cannabis. Some hemp papers currently on the market are RAW organic, Chills, Skunk brand, Pure Hemp, Hempire, Bob Marley and Irie.
- Clear or Cellophane papers such as Chills, Trip and aLeda are not truly paper but are made from cellulose gum processed with glycerin and water to create an all natural, yet transparent wrap for your smoke. Although not as popular as they were when introduced in the 1980’s the clear cellophane wraps are still around, blowing the minds of new stoners every year.
- Although not a material in and of itself, organic papers are also available which are manufactured from organically grown materials of course and bear mentioning. RAW Organic papers are probably the most notable organic hemp papers available.
Now let’s look at Watermarks and how they are used in some rolling papers:
- Some papers are smooth with a clean and slick surface devoid of markings. These papers do not have a watermark.
- Other papers, such as the Zig Zag papers here, have a design lightly imprinted into the surface of the papers. These are known as watermarks and in the case of this design is often purely decorative.
- Functional watermarks – Some papers however have a watermark that not only looks cool but is also there to serve a purpose. The trademarked RAW Criss-Cross watermark is designed to help insure an even burning roll and is found on their RAW, Elements, Skunk Brand and DLX papers.
Let’s compare the 2 main rolling paper Gum types:
- Arabic Gum is an all-natural gum extracted from the sap of the Acacia tree and is the most commonly used rolling paper gum found in papers from Jokers to RAW. Depending on the care used in extracting the Acacia tree gum it can even have health benefits, as is the case with the organic gum used by RAW papers which they claim may help lower cholesterol.
- Sugar Gum is the second most common rolling paper gum and is made simply, as you might expect, from making a gum from water and sugar. Elements famously uses a sugar gum line in their light and crisp all natural rice papers.
- Then there are ungummed papers such as Club Modiano and OCB ungummed, two papers that are available without gum and use a thin edge of paper to provide a closing line. Also the clear cellophane papers have no gum because they provide their own gum when moistened as the cellulose gum breaks down and becomes sticky.
Finally let’s look at some of cool Special Packaging in rolling papers:
- Magnetic Closures are among some of the new feature found on some better rolling papers. The elements papers packages all have it and some upscale line such as the RAW Artesano papers have magnetic closures on the packages.
- Tips in the pack – Another new feature in rolling paper packaging is to include papers to roll tips or crutches for joints directly as part of the packaging, such as the RAW Connoisseur line of papers.
- Rolling tray – And one of the most fascinating paper package designs has to be the really cool fold out rolling tray package of the RW Artesano line of papers. Truly an all-in-one rolling paper package, RAW is really changing the game with their functional package designs.
- Credit Card size and shape rolling paper packs is also an useful and unique packaging option available from RAW again as well as from CC Papers.
Now that you know all about rolling papers you should be able to intelligently choose the right paper for the right joint.
Learn how to get a little closer to God with the divine 5 gram cross blunt! This tutorial will show you step by step how to roll a cross joint or cross blunt so get some blunt wraps, some cannabis and let’s get down to some cannabis divinity!
To complete this tutorial you will need about 4 or 5 grams of cannabis flowers, a sharp tool for poking through the blunts, 2 packs of 2 for a total of 4 blunt wraps. You’ll also need some scissors and optionally a grinder.
- Grind the first 3.5 grams of cannabis for your larger base joint. You could also use your fingers as this. You’ll need about another gram for the cross blunt smaller arm so make sure you leave some marijuana for that step.
- Once you have your weed prepped you can prep your first two wraps. First use some scissors and trim one of the gum edges off of one of the wraps. Set that gum aside because we need to use it later or put it back in the pack so it does not dry out. Now take a second wrap and use the gum on that wrap to connect the two wraps top to bottom with the gum in the center. Press firmly and wet the gum thoroughly so that the connection is strong then we can move on to rolling.
- Roll the Big Blunt as you would normally roll a fat blunt trying your best to keep the diameter the same from one end to the other like a tube shape rather than a cone shape. Make sure you roll it tight enough to hold together and loose enough to pull air through well. You can optionally Add a filter paper tip if you like. Once completed you should have a nice fat blunt plenty thick enough to run a smaller blunt through it and we are ready to move on to rolling the smaller cross member blunt.
- Now grind the remaining 1 gram of cannabis for the smaller blunt. Like before you can use a grinder or you fingers. Next after your weed is ground or broken up you can prep one of the 2 remaining blunt wraps.
- You can trim the wrap slightly and then roll the smaller blunt just as you normally would making sure it is tight and an even diameter from end to end. It helps if you can taper the end on at least one end as well to help later in pushing it through the larger blunt.
- Now we need to use our poking tool to make hole in the smaller blunt through the dead center. This hole is to allow air flow from the the larger blunt to pull through the smaller blunt from the center air path of the completed cross blunt. Make sure it is completely through the paper on both sides and free from any obstructions that would prevent airflow.
- Now we must very carefully bore a large hole through the larger blunt big enough for smaller blunt to pass through without tearing it in half.
- Twist and push smaller blunt through larger blunt, lining up hole in smaller blunt with air pathway.
- Use leftover gum to seal 2 sides of the blunt. Cut remaining wraps gum to seal other 2 diagonal sides.
- Let dry, light all 3 sides at once and enjoy!
Save 15% off everything in the RuffHouse Smoke Shop through July 2016 using the code: 710JULY! https://www.ruffhousestudios.com/
Welcome to 710 Tips & Tricks today we are dissecting the parts of an epic 710 Smoke Sesh with Dabs from bangers and twax. First you will need to gather yourself an ample amount of wax or concentrates of your choice and it will help if you also have some flowers too like this beautiful Famous Church OG all from Club 30 LA in East Los Angeles.
Sponsored by the RuffHouse Smoke Shop save 10% off everything with the code” WEED-HACKS https://www.ruffhousestudios.com
Welcome to Weed Hacks today we are looking at some alternate dab tools, reclaiming wax from a drop-down arm and also making a pipe for our banger with an apple.
Today we do the following:
– Make a replacement pipe from an Apple to use with a banger to hit wax.
– Reclaim Wax: Use torch to melt reclaim wax into a suitable container. Make a wax-blunt with the reclaim wax.
– Dab Tool Hacks: Use some common household items instead of a dab tools
Shout out to Rudy for the apple banger idea, if you have a suggestion for a weed hack please leave it in the comments section below, please subscribe to RuffHouse Studios for more Cannabis Culture videos made just for you, thank you for watching.
For the full recipe please sign up at: http://www.infusedeats.com
Cannabis Infused Beef Jerky is a fast acting medicated snack that can store without refrigeration for up to 2 weeks. This jerky will indeed make you twerky.
Save 10% on vaporizers, RAW accessories and more with the code “CANNABASICS”: http://www.ruffhousestudios.com/
Welcome to Cannabasics, today we learn how to Make Shatter using a Quick Wash of Isopropyl Alcohol.
The 99% Alcohol on Amazon:
Support Us By Visiting Our Sponsor Store: http://www.ruffhousestudios.com
RuffHouse Studios Smoke Shop, shipping Rolling Accessories from RAW, portable vaporizers and more at great prices. Save 10% off your order with the code “WEED-HACKS” – http://www.ruffhousestudios.com
A lot of smokers have heard the term sploof and perhaps made one of hardly effective paper towel and dryer sheet contraptions in college to help mask the smell of your weed in the dorm. But today we will learn how to make an improved and more effective version of the classic spoof as well as take a look at the highly effective commercial version of the Sploof called the Sploofy. (Learn more about/ buy the Sploofy here: http://www.ruffhousestudios.com/sploofy/)
An empty paper towel roll, some fabric softener dryer sheets and a couple of paper towels, a lot of us may remember making a Sploof with these common household items . Popular mostly in college dorms and parents’ basement slo help mask the smell of our marijuana smoke these crude devices are made by stuffing some wadded up paper towels into an empty paper towel roll and then loading it full with several more crumpled up dry fabric softener sheets. The stronger the scent of the sheets the better they would work to mask the odor. But to be honest, compared to options available today the classic spoof is not very effective at masking the smell and doesn’t reduce the amount smoke discharged into the air enough to even acknowledge.
Here is what you’ll need to make a better Sploof:
– A light duty drill with both a large bit, about 1/2” or larger and a small bit around 1/8” or smaller
– Some active charcoal
– A couple of coffee filters
– Some large empty medicine containers
The container you may get at the cannabis dispensary when you buy over 1/4 oz. of medicine and also often available at drug stores or online from Amazon for about a buck. The size we used is about 5.5 inches tall and about 2 inches in diameter and has a pop top style top. But you could just as easily use a screw on lid style medicine containers. You could also try this with other size and shape containers and we encourage youth recycle anything food-safe and readily available.
The first step in making our better spoof is to make our mouthpiece air hole. We will do this on the sealed bottom end of the container. A lot of the container have a dimple in the center to help guide the larger of our drill bit into the center which is where we need to frill through completely. Clean off the plastic shavings and smooth out any snags and we have now completed our mouthpiece air hole.
Now switch to the smaller drill bit and flip the container over so the flip top or screw top is facing upward. If using the screw top leave it screwed all the way on to make it easier to handle. Now we will drill an array of 10 to 20 holes depending on the size of your drill bit. We are trying to diffuse the escaping air so as many small holes that you can make without compromising the integrity of the lid will work be best.
Now the vessel of our better sploof is finished and we move on to the next step. For this step we will need the active charcoal pellets. You can find this online that is made for smoking and filtering purposes as well as at the pet store in the fish department for filtering water in fish tanks, you only need about 6 ounces for 1 sploof but it will need to be replaced over time.
Similar to the classic but sploof you use coffee filter which is finer and offers more filtering than a paper towel, but you could use paper towels in a pinch You wad the paper up loosely and press it as flatly and every into the bottom of the sploof. Use a knife end or a long tool to press the filter into the bottom of the and make sure the entire floor of the container is covered so none of the charcoal gets to your mouth.
Now use a funnel to keep the mess down and fill the container with the active charcoal. As a bonus hack, if you do not have a proper funnel you can cut the top off of a soda bottle, make sure it’s clean and invert it into the container for a quick easy funnel. You will want to fill the container almost all the way to the top, leaving only enough room for another coffee filter and for the top to close fully. Also at the exhaust end you could use dryer sheets instead of the coffee filter to add even more of the classic sploof effectiveness to this improved design.
Now you close the top securely and the new improved sploof is ready to use. This sploof works basically the same as other so to be effective you should use a pipe or vaporizer that does not keep burning between or after each hit defeating the purpose altogether. But once you do inhale the smoke you hold it until you get the sploof with the big hole facing your mouth and seal your lips as best as possible. Now exhale slow and steadily through the active charcoal. Unlike the classic sploof this will reduce both the amount of smoke exhaled but more so the smell of that smoke. Rather than mask the smell it is actually diminished and although nowhere near 100% effective it is vastly better than the classic sploof especially when using the dryer sheets in combination with the charcoal.
But for ultimate effectiveness it is really hard to beat the commercially available Sploofs on the market such as the Smoke Buddy and the RuffHouse favorite known as the Sploofy.
Using similar elements as the improved sploof in this video, the Sploofy has advanced technology, refinement and cost on it’s side but most of all, the Sploofy is highly effective. It nearly seems like magic how well the simple device leverages it’s multiple filters and airflow to completely eliminate the smoke and odor of even the biggest bong rip. If discretion in smell is important to you is would benefit you greatly to check the Sploofy for under twenty bucks. Check the description or screen for a link to learn more about the Sploofy.
This episode of Weed-Hack is brought to you by the RuffHouse Studios Smoke Shop, shipping Rolling Accessories from RAW, portable vaporizers and more at great prices. Save 10% off your order with the code WEED HACKS.
I hope you enjoyed this episode of Weed Hack is you did please like, share comment ad subscribe to RuffHouse Studios for more cannabis culture videos made just for you. This is Matt fro RuffHouse Studios, thank you for watching.
Back on Track – Latinesque by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Intractable by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Save 10% in our store with code WEED-HACKS through September 2015: http://www.ruffhousestudios.com/shop/
Hopefully everyone has the problem of dealing with all those huge roaches. Of course I mean cannabis joint roaches left over after smoking a big fatty. So what can we do with the burnt ends other than pile it in our messy ashtray? Here are ten things, besides a roach clip, that you can use to smoke roaches.
Get the new V-ONE wax pen in the video: http://www.ruffhousestudios.com/product/v-one-wax-vape-pen-stainless-steel-glass-fast-ceramic-plate-element/
The Rosin Tech method of extracting wax from flowers has been growing in popularity because almost anyone can do it at home safely and smoke cannabis concentrates like wax shatters even in areas where wax is generally unavailable.